Friday, August 24, 2012

My Purpose... in Spanish

Hello family!

Thank you for the letters! I had a really good week...

Elder Neil L Andersen came to speak at the MTC on Tuesday! It was amazing!! When he walked into the room everybody stood up out of respect, and before I could even see him, I could feel what kind of power and love this man had for the gospel. He had some really great quotes and insights about missionary work! One quote that I really liked - he said to let the Lord shape your back to bear the burdens placed on your shoulders. He also centered a lot of what he said on "our purpose as missionaries". Which is something that a lot of the missionaries have memorized... and it is kind of weird, but I have memorized it in Spanish and I cannot say it word for word in English yet. The purpose is to "invitar a las personas a venir a cristo al ayudarlas a que reciban el evangelio restaurado mediante la fe en jesucristo y su expiacion, el arrepentimiento, el bautismo, y la recepcion del don del espiritu santo y el perseverar hasta el fin." (translation: “Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.")

My companion and I have also been teaching two new investigators! One of them, when we first knocked on the door, talked to us through the crack in his door and spoke really fast Spanish so it was really tough to keep up. He asked a question about if we were Jehovah's Witnesses, which in Spanish has a word that sounds like testify in it... so I thought he asked if we were there to testify of Christ and so I said, "Yes!"... and then he slammed the door. We knocked again and cleared up that we weren't Jehovah's Witnesses, but it was kind of funny.

Something else that was really awesome about this week: I feel like my Spanish has gotten a ton better! I can teach a lesson without saying, "umm" or "uhhh" half the time! I still am pretty bad... but not horrible.

I also taught a guy from South Korea who spoke Spanish which was insane because he still had a South Korean accent and he was also partially blind. The lesson went great though and we taught him about the restoration of the gospel and the importance of families.

One of my teachers that I worked with in a workshop is Cap Sanders! He said to say hello.

Any way I love you guys and I hope you are all doing well!!! I sent some letters home that should be there in a couple of days, I think.

From,

Elder Seth Neifert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be sent to Elder Neifert in his next e-mail